Thursday, August 22, 2013

Tomato Frittata

Leftover tomatoes

Sliced tomatoes in skillet with a little oil.
Tomatoes with egg mixture and chopped chives.

Nice and fluffy


Crispy edge



It's been 3 days since I picked a basketful of tomatoes from the backyard and already there are a lot of ripe ones out there.  Not ready to go into gardening mode at 11:30 this morning, I just got the ones that fell off the vine.  Just then my mother-in-law walked into the kitchen looking to see what she could have for lunch.  I knew just the thing!
As I was packing my daughter's lunch this morning, I noticed I had a lot of eggs in the fridge.  And  the leftover roasted tomatoes for the Pan Fried Scamorza with Roasted Tomatoes recipe over the weekend.  And I still had a lot of tomatoes on the kitchen counter.  And more were coming.  I got the already-roasted tomato halves and cut them into half.  This is my recipe for Tomato Frittata:
1.  Pre-heat broiler.
 2.  Heat 2 T oil in an oven-proof skillet.  Add 1 ½ C sliced tomatoes and cook 3 minutes.
 3.  Beat 10 eggs and pour into the skillet.  Use a spatula to move tomatoes around so that they are evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper.  Add chopped chives.
 4.  When egg is half-way set, transfer to broiler and cook until golden brown on top.
 5.  Slice into wedges and serve with crusty bread or salad.
So my in-laws and I had Tomato Frittata for lunch with lightly toasted Rosemary Olive Oil Bread. It was light yet filling.  The tender egg backdrop was perfect for the sweet robust flavor of the tomatoes.  And the bread provided a satisfying crunch. 
Frittata is an egg-based dish from Italy.  It is like an omelette with the addition of various vegetables, meats or cheese.  It may be flavored with herbs.  An alternative to tomatoes is sliced zucchini, peppers or whatever vegetable you have on hand.  You can also add meat or cheese or a combination of ingredients for a heartier meal.  Salumi may also be served on the side.  As long as you have eggs this would be a good dish to make when you want to use up leftovers.

What do you do with leftover sliced tomatoes?













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment here....